Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Blog Monster




When I think of the term blog, I picture something like the little green guy from Monsters Inc. Alot of people don't know what a blog is. A blog is a website that takes the form of an online journal, updated frequently with running commentary on one or many topics.

Why blogs matter
There are few who will discount blogs' role as a key component of online culture. If anything, blogs are quickly becoming popular with established users of the Internet, according to a late 2004 study on blogs by the Pew Internet & American Life Project.

Pew conducted two telephone surveys of nearly 2,000 Internet users, and found that 32 million Americans, or 27 percent of Internet users, say they read blogs -- a 58 percent jump from the prior year (with a huge growth in readers 30-49 years old). More than 8 million Internet users have created a blog or web-based diary. Twelve percent of Internet users have posted comments or other material on a blog.

Nonetheless, the blogging concept is still evolving among the majority of Americans. Sixty-two percent of online Americans do not know what a blog is, according to the Pew study.

So far, I know I am pretty much talking to myself with this blog. I have read that it takes approximately six months for a blog to begin to develop a meaningful following. Thank you for checking out the Lois' Lodge blog. I hope you will find information that is interesting and meaningful to you. Key benefits of a blog include opening new channels for documentation and knowledge-sharing, especially for for non-profits that have been constrained by the time and costs of other web technologies; enlivening our group's Web presence; and the engagement of clients, supporters and strangers alike in our work. I receive all kinds of great information on almost a daily basis regarding issues that are important to us. I also love to read and learn and desire to share what I learn with you. I hope that you will find this blog meaningful, that you will share your own comments and thoughts, that you will forward this blog to your friends to enable them to learn more about Lois' Lodge and will send me information that you come across that you would like to see shared through this blog. Thanks for checking us out. Please come back again soon.

No comments: